Sunday, September 11, 2011

On 9/11 I want my kids to understand Heroism, not Patriotism




So I've been thinking a lot about the press coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and my feelings about it.   I'm not an overly patriotic guy for better for worse, and to be quite honest, there's enough for America to be ashamed of POST 9/11 to make me cringe (Iraq War, the grotesque failure to insure First Responders to the Twin Towers, etc)

But let there be no doubt for myself, my kids, and their future kids what 9/11 should remind people of:


HEROISM

The FDNY, NYPD, the passengers on Flight 93, the rescuers at the Pentagon, all of those who worked tirelessly for days in the rubble of twin towers....

I still watch with awe and sheer respect at those firefighters and policemen who rushed into those buildings, no concern for their own well being, another day at the office.  Even if the towers had not collapsed, the scene those men and women would have found up in the towers would have been life altering, but not a hesitation, in fact from the films an even greater sense of urgency.

The passengers on Flight 93, charging the front of the plane, knowing they had to control their own fates, and they did, in the meantime saving hundreds if not thousands of others.

The magnitude of their collective actions I'm still not sure we can all truly grasp.

There is a tremendous video I've seen on National Geographic the day after the towers fell.  All of the rescuers on the rubble, with all of the beacons chirping from all of the rescuers trapped below.  It sounds like a chorus, you can't really put words to it.

That's what I want my kids to remember


No comments: